Banner

Banner

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Thanks for Your Service

Veterans' Day was yesterday.  Of course, we want to say thank you to all of the men and women who served in the U.S. armed forces; those who sacrifice to keep us free.  But, I want to honor and say thanks to another group of people.  They may not be official members of the U.S. armed forces, but they put themselves on line just as much.

I am talking about U.S. contractors who go in the trenches with our troops overseas.  Let me give you a little background.

I have a client from Afghanistan.  He works as an interpreter for the U.S. Army.  His job takes him in the trenches with our military, to translate for them.  While with his unit, he is in as much danger as our troops, but without a weapon.


He came to see me today.  He's a good family man, and I was happy to see him.  But, as we discussed his legal issue, he nonchalantly told me that he was home on medical leave because he had been hit with an IED.

I was shocked.  He looked fine.  He told that he was better off than many in his unit.  The shrapnel  hit him in the back.  But U.S. soldier lost hands and other limbs to this device. 

He had his wife and two young children with him in my office.  And at that time, all I could think was thank God this family still had this fine young man around to take care of them.

So, while technically not a member of the armed forces, I still find it very appropriate for us to remember and thank those who serve as contractors for our military services.  Thank you all for putting your life on the line to assist in completing the mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment