Friday, February 18, 2011

H-1B Filing Date Approaching

The first day of filing an application for an H-1B specialty worker to begin work in fiscal year 2012 (starting on October 1, 2011) is April 1, 2011. A specialty worker is one in a profession that requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree. An H-1B visa permits a foreign worker to come to the United States to work for a U.S. employer for a temporary period of time. An H-1B can initially be approved for 3 years, and then extended for another 3 years.

Only 65,000 H-1B visas are available every year. In the past, all of the H-1Bs allotted for the year were claimed as of the first date of filing. Although, with the slower economy, in the past two years, H-1B visas were available through December.

With the economy on the rise, it is possible that firms will be hiring more foreign workers, and may claim the H-1Bs earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment